Spend $5 on Local Food
Get $5 in Farm Fresh Rewards
Here’s how it works:
2019 Farm Fresh Rewards Locations:
9 3rd St, Auburn
123 High St, Belfast
Blue Hill Co-op
4 Ellsworth Rd, Blue Hill
Frinklepod Farm Store
244 Log Cabin Rd, Arundel
The Farm Stand
161 Ocean St, South Portland
Gardiner Food Co-op
269 Water St, Gardiner
Ginny’s Natural Corner
217 North Ave, Skowhegan
Good Tern Co-op
750 Main St, Rockland
76 US-1, Machias
5 Veterans Highway, Brooks
The Morris Farm Store
156 Gardiner Rd, Wiscasset
Rising Tide Community Market
323 Main St, Damariscotta
Rosemont Market: West End
40 Pine St, Portland
Royal River Natural Foods
443 US-1, Freeport
Sheepscot General Store
98 Town House Rd, Whitefield
Spice and Grain
17 Portland St, Fryeburg
Portland Food Co-op
290 Congress St, Portland
Uncle Dean’s Natural Market
5825, 80 Grove St, Waterville
Find a Store Near You: Look for Farm Fresh Rewards Markers on the map!
Helpful Tips for Using Farm Fresh Rewards:
- Buy more, get more: Get a $5 voucher for every $5 spent on local food
- Use the map above to look find participating location, and look in-store for labels to find food products that qualify for the program
- Vouchers can be used for on fresh, frozen, and dried local fruits and vegetables that contain no added salt, sugars, or fats
- Each voucher is worth $5. You must spend the full $5 on local food to earn one and must spend the full $5 on fruits and veggies to use one. Look for small local items (like garlic) to help balance the costs
- Vouchers can be spent on your next purchase or saved for later in the season
- Remember to check the expiration dates on your vouchers – use them before it is too late!
- Vouchers can be used at any market participating in the FFR program. You do not have to spend them at the stores where you earned them
Some Frequently Asked Questions, and answers:
- How does this program work?
If paying with SNAP/EBT at any of the participating stores, customers get FREE vouchers to be spent on local fruits and vegetables when buying local food.
- Who is eligible for this program?
Any customer paying with SNAP/EBT (formerly called food stamps, or in Maine the “Food Supplement program” or the Pine Tree Card).
- What do you earn vouchers on?
Local products that are also SNAP-eligible. Local labels and shelf tags can help you find products that qualify for earning vouchers.
- What can you spend vouchers on?
Any Maine-grown fruit or vegetable. This includes fresh, frozen, and dried products with no added sugars, salts, or fats.
- Are these programs only available in the summertime?
This is available all year! More and more farmers are growing food through the winter. Some of the stores do change hours in the winter.
- Can I use the vouchers at other stores?
Yes, vouchers are now valid at all participating retail stores.
- Can I use vouchers at farmers markets?
No. Maine Harvest Bucks is our sister nutrition incentive program, but Farm Fresh Rewards vouchers CANNOT be used at Maine Harvest Bucks sites and vice versa. However, anyone using SNAP benefits is encouraged to participate in both programs.
- How is this program funded?
Funding for this program comes from a federal grant, and much of it also comes from individual donors, communities, and other foundations. If anyone has questions or wants to support this program, please send them to Maine Farmland Trust.
- How does this help farmers?
The vouchers you get and spend for local produce are fully paid for by Maine Farmland Trust, through our grant and other funding. The farmer gets full price for everything you buy through this program, including the extra food you get with the vouchers! By increasing the amount of foods you buy that are produced by Maine farmers, you are building their sales, which supports the growth of their overall farm business.
What we hear about Farm Fresh Rewards:
“This program is on many levels a life-saver, in that I get to eat…good quality food, I get to support my local farmers and vendors, and in my mind all of that is a win-win. Overall the mental and physical health benefits and the opportunity to get more food is huge for me. It’s a big deal.” –Customer
“We really love that our local food co-op “The Belfast Coop” offers nutrition incentives. It is a win for our farm and fellow farmers in that more people are encouraged to buy local products (hopefully [our] yogurt and kefir!) and great for our community that folks can utilize these programs to support our local co-ops and small businesses, and fantastic that families get to see their benefits stretched further and are able to enjoy fresh local fruits and veggies grown in their communities.” –Farmer
Still have questions? Want to offer incentives at your retail store?
We’d love to hear from you.
Contact Shannon, firstname.lastname@example.org or (207) 338-6575.